Taken from the “Wheat Belly Cookbook” by Dr. William Davis, anyone following a paleo or gluten-free diet will appreciate these fluffy, nutty grain-free biscuits! Think “buttermilk” – they are perfect for dipping into sunny side up eggs, spreading with jam, or slathering with sausage gravy. Our favorite way to eat them is warm from the oven with a little organic butter. Here’s the recipe:
1 cup almond meal/flour
1 cup flax meal
4 teaspoons baking powder
4 tablespoons cold, cut butter
4 egg whites
[one_half padding=”0 8px 0 8px”]
- Combine almond meal, flax meal and baking powder.
- Add cold cut butter and combine thoroughly.
[one_half_last padding=”0 8px 0 8px”]
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into flour mixture
- Place 8 mounds about 3/4 inch thick on baking sheet with parchment paper
- Bake 15 minutes at 350 degrees
Finding grain-free alternatives to favorites like biscuits, breads and bakery isn’t easy, but these almond flour and flax seed based treasures are a tasty replacement that satisfies. I always look for the easy button on recipes, and these yummy biscuits only take 25 minutes start to finish. That makes them easy enough for a Sunday brunch – and they’re tasty enough for Thanksgiving dinner, too!