Vegan Alfredo Sauce With Zoodles
As a cheese lover who no longer eats dairy, Alfredo sauce was something I refused to cross off of the list for obvious reasons. Even when I still ate dairy, I limited my Alfredo intake to small portions once or twice a year on special occasions due to the high calorie content.Having already found a grain-free noodle recipe, I knew there just HAD to be a dairy-free version of this yummy comfort food.
I decided to try this Vegan Alfredo sauce from DrAxe.com and found it to be a perfect compliment to zucchini noodles (zoodles). It had that yummy, creamy, hearty texture an Alfredo lover like me craves. It was a delicious blend of herbs that had me going back for more – GUILT FREE, I might add – no calorie worries in this cauliflower & almond milk based sauce!
- 1 small head of cauliflower, chopped (about 3 heaping cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
- 2 teaspoons pine nuts
- 2¼ cup almond milk
- 2 teaspoons of each: salt, pepper, oregano and basil
- juice of half a lemon
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- In a medium-sized pot, cook the olive oil, garlic and pine nuts over medium heat for 3–4 minutes, or until garlic is golden brown.
- Add in the almond milk and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the cauliflower and spices and cook until cauliflower is soft (about 8 minutes).
- Transfer to a high-powered blender and add in the lemon juice and nutritional yeast and blend on high until smooth.
- Add over your favorite gluten-free pasta or zoodles and top with fresh basil